Allow me some self indulgence… :) This is a clip of my band, Airbag, performing White Walls from our upcoming album All Rights Removed that’s due October 17. The clip is recorded live with a handful iPhones in our rehearsal studio.
This is perhaps one of our most Floydish songs and I thought it would be cool just to go all the way with an Animals/Wall inspired tone. The opening and main vocal sections are done with a ThroBak Overdrive Boost, Deluxe Electric Mistress and Boss DD2 delay. I think this is pretty close to what I use for stuff like Shine On (live 1977), Dogs rhythms and some of clean stuff on Wall. Just love David’s live tones from that era with the Mistress and Yamaha making it all watery and swirly. The ThroBak is set for a clean tone just above unity level. It’s very subtle but just enough to add a bit more bite.
For the solo I’m adding an Electronic Orange Pig Hoof. This is a ram’s head clone with a slightly warmer and more saturated tone than the average ram’s head (see my review here). Together with the ThroBak clean boost and the Mistress this is about as close as I can get to David’s amazing Wall live 1980-81 tones on songs like Mother, Hey You and Comfortably Numb. I’m using my DG inspired CIJ Strat, currently with TTS Crazy Diamond pickups (see my review here) and the Reeves Custom 50 with my old Sound City 4×12″ speaker cab loaded with Weber Thames 80w speakers.
– Guitar pickups: 4th position (bridge/middle) on intro and vocals and the bridge pickup for the solo.
– Amp: linked input (guitar plugged into upper bright), normal 1:00, bright 1:00, bass 50%, middle 40%, treble 40%, presence 75%, master slightly above 8:00.
– Pig Hoof: volume 12:00, tone 10:30, sustain 11:30
– ThroBak Overdrive Boost: silicon mode, pre-gain off, gain 2:00, bass 1:00, treble 11:00, master 1:00
– EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress: color 10:00, range off, rate 10:00
– Boss DD2: level 2:00 (intro)/ 11:00 (solo), feedback 1:00, time 2:00 (aprox), mode 800ms